Injectable products used in aesthetic medicine– Explanations : Doctor POIGNONEC plastic surgeon in Paris
What are injectables?
Injectable products: volumizers & injections reducing wrinkles. Resorbable filling injections are performed on the temple, upper eyelid and medial third of the eyebrow, midface, oval and neck. These volumizing facial products combined with botulinum toxin give a very harmonious result.
How injectable fillings work ?
If you want to give yourself a younger look, correct imperfections, grooves and depressions, fill and smooth fine wrinkles on the face and neck, increase the volume of cheeks, cheekbones, redraw facial contours, plump lips and moisturize the skin.
As a result, the line or fold seems to have practically disappeared, unlike botulinum toxin injections that relax the muscle under a wrinkle. The injectable hyaluronic acid skin filling products, non-allergenic and completely absorbable, is the ideal treatment, because of its compatibility with the human body. Hyaluronic acid is a hydrophilic substance naturally present in the body and skin, but which becomes scarcer with age, promoting dry skin.
It is not necessary to over-correct during the first session and it is preferable to see the surgeon again for a possible retouching. Some research shows that repeated injections can help stimulate the body’s own natural production of collagen.
By choosing a qualified and competent practitioner, trained in this type of treatment, you limit these risks as much as possible without however completely eliminating them. In any case, if you have any concerns after these injections, do not hesitate to contact the plastic and aesthetic surgeon.
Injectable products Hyaluronic acid
Results after treatment with hyaluronic acid injections
- The aesthetic results are immediate and very natural, the final result is obtained after about ten days after the operation.
- The effect will last between 6 and 18 months depending on age, skin quality, lifestyle and cross-linking of the hyaluronic acid molecule.
Possible side effects of hyaluronic acid
— Slight swelling of injection site
These disadvantages do not last very long and can be easily hidden.
Certain pathological conditions may be contraindications to treatment (autoimmune diseases, allergies, inflammatory or infectious problems, etc.).
Injectable products : Botulinum toxin
What are the benefits of combined treatments?
Botulinum toxin has no effect to increase volumes, so it is not a filling like filling injections. Botulinum toxin injections relax muscles on wrinkles caused by muscle contraction. This combined technique combining filling injections allows to achieve an optimal result.
Injectables source : Best extract from the book « La chirurgie esthétique, les solutions et les conseils de mon chirurgien » © Ambre Publishing | The author : Dr. Sylvie POIGNONEC - Plastic and Aesthetic Surgeon, located in the heart of Paris, specialized in plastic, aesthetic & reconstructive surgery
Contraindications to treatment
These disadvantages are temporary. Some medical conditions may be contraindications to treatment that are not suitable for pregnant women or patients with neuromuscular disorders. Do not rub or massage areas treated with botulinum toxin after wrinkle treatment, to prevent the botulinum toxin from migrating to another area of your face.
- You may notice results in a few days, but it can take up to a week to see the full effect of the treatment.
- When the effects of botulinum toxin begin to fade, your muscle reactions and wrinkles will reappear.
What are the possible complications following hyaluronic acid injections?
Complications of filling and volumetry are extremely rare:
Some cases have been described of persistent redness for several weeks, skin abscess or necrosis, located at an injection site.
Injectable products: possible complications known to date are as follows:
- Headaches: they may be present during the first injections and disappear after a few hours to a few days.
- Ptosis of the eyebrows: the injection of the forehead can cause a slight descent of the eyebrows. This descent is usually due to the fact that the eyebrows were already in the low position before the injection. This slight lowering of the eyebrows usually regresses in a few weeks.
- Eyelid ptosis: the injection of the lion’s wrinkles can cause a partial fall of the upper eyelid which can last 4 to 8 weeks. It is rare (less than 1% of cases), and always disappears beyond a few weeks.
- Sore or smiling and swallowing: injection into the lips may cause discomfort to the smile or small abnormal movements. Neck injection may cause difficulty swallowing.
- Dry eyes: by reducing tear secretion, which can lead to keratitis, especially in patients wearing contact lenses (care should be taken in this case to properly hydrate the cornea).
- Paradoxical muscle contraction and facial expression disorders: in the days following injection, the treated muscles may present some paradoxical movements (spontaneous contractions) without gravity.
They are quite exceptional.
- Allergic reaction: rash, hives, general allergic reaction
- Nausal, dizziness
- Tiredness, fever, flu syndrome
- Dry skin or dry mouth
Source : French Society of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery S.o.F.C.P.R.E
Mis à jour le: 21 June 2018 [MàJ]