What should you do when your eyelids fall off ?
Advances in Blepharoplasty : 3D animation and narration for informational reference
Video credit :
Why have an eyelid lift ?
Benefits : This cosmetic surgery of the eyelids (cosmetic eye surgery) aims to eliminate the drooping of the eyelid (ptosis) that partially or completely covers the eyes, whether it is genetic or due to aging. It can affect the upper eyelid or the lower eyelid, or both.
Blepharoplasty can be combined with other procedures, such as a mini-facelift of the forehead, temples or neck, and even with medical-surgical treatments, such as a skin peel.
Who is this eyelid surgery (or operation) for ?
Whether it is a lower eyelid blepharoplasty or an upper eyelid blepharoplasty
Age range : Blepharoplasty is a type of eyelid rejuvenation surgery involving men and women aged 35/40. It removes bags under the eyes and excess skin that forms a cap on the upper eyelid.
Support available in 3D simulation before and after your possible blepharoplasty after simple and safe registration, from your home
What effect does double eyelid surgery have on the eyes ?
The subjects are interested in heavy or drooping upper eyelids and bags under the eyes. The appearance is immediately rejuvenated: the effect is spectacular.
How is blepharoplasty performed ?
Special ophthalmological examinations are usually required to detect any possible eye disease. Routine pre-operative check-ups should be carried out in accordance with regulations and the anaesthetist should be seen within 48 hours of the day.
What type of anaesthetic and what are the instructions before eyelid surgery ?
- Depending on the type of anaesthesia chosen, the operation can be performed as an outpatient procedure, with local anaesthesia or intensive anaesthesia.
- Patients may be asked to fast for 6 hours prior to surgery.
Will the incision leave a scar ?
The surgeon makes a small, relatively invisible incision in the eye crease. Since then, the unsightly fat hernia has been removed, and the excess sagging muscles and skin have also been removed. The surgeon takes care not to remove too much skin. Future scars will be hidden in the natural folds. However, for the lower eyelid, if there is no skin to be removed, the incision made in the eyelid will not leave any visible scars.
What are the specific instructions after eyelid surgery ?
Do not take any medication containing aspirin for 10 days after surgery..
If the blepharoplasty is performed on an outpatient basis, you will be discharged the same day after a few hours of supervision. However, a short hospital stay may be necessary.
- The patient may experience slight discomfort, such as tight eyelids, visual disturbances and even slight eye irritation.
- During the first few days, you may not be able to close your eyelids completely.
- The sutures are usually not absorbable and must be removed within a few days.
- The post-operative consequences, especially bruising and swelling, will remain visible for about 8 to 10 days.
- The scar of the first month will remain a little pink, but from the 7th day, make-up is allowed.
It is possible to resume social and professional life after a week’s rest, during which any violent behaviour should be avoided. It is recommended to wear sunglasses.
- It will take 3 to 6 months to evaluate the results. But the skin will continue to age, and the eyelid wrinkles will reappear.
- However, few people have considered new procedures for more than a decade.
- The elimination of the bags under the eyes is almost permanent.
Are there any risks associated with cosmetic eyelid surgery ?
- Fortunately, real complications are rare after a proper blepharoplasty.
- In practice, most procedures are problem-free and patients are completely satisfied with their results.
However, even if they are rare, you should always be aware of possible complications :
- Haematoma : This is not serious most of the time, if it is too big, it can be evacuated.
- Infection : Abnormal during blepharoplasty, with the exception of a few rare micro-abscesses formed at the suture point which can be easily treated with minor local care. Systemic eye drops in the first few days can prevent simple conjunctivitis.
- Abnormal scarring : Very rare, the skin of the eyelids is very thin, the scarring is usually almost invisible, but in the long term the scars may not be as inconspicuous as expected.
- Epidermal cysts : These can appear along the scar and usually disappear naturally, otherwise they are easy to remove and do not affect the quality of the final result.
- Disorders of lacrimal secretion : continuous lacrimation is rarer than « dry eye », which can sometimes decompensate a pre-existing lacrimal deficit.
- Ptosis (difficulty in fully opening the upper eyelid) : Very rare, except at age 70+, in which case surgery sometimes augments pre-existing defects.
- Lagophthalmos (inability to close the upper eyelids completely) : This can occur as early as the first day after surgery, and should not last more than a few weeks.
- Ectropion (downward contraction of the lower eyelid) : The main form is extremely rare after a correct blepharoplasty. Slight eyelids (« round eyes ») sometimes appear on poorly toned eyelids due to premature contraction of the scars, and usually disappear gradually after several weeks of daily massage to soften the eyelids.
Finally, the international scientific literature reports very specific cases of double vision (diplopia), glaucoma (ocular hypertension) and even blindness after blepharoplasty.
Regarding surgery : By choosing a qualified and competent plastic surgeon trained in this type of procedure, you can minimize these risks, but not eliminate them completely. If you notice one or more complications, please contact the plastic and cosmetic surgeon immediately.
Using a qualified plastic surgeon can ensure that they have the training and ability to understand how to avoid these complications or treat them effectively if necessary.
In short, one should not overestimate the risk, but just be aware that a surgical procedure, even if it seems simple, always carries a small amount of risk.